When someone is charged with a DUI, they can expect to face serious legal consequences. This is why if you’ve been charged with a DUI in California, you must continue reading and reach out to an experienced Red Bluff criminal lawyer to learn more about the penalties for DUIs in California and how our legal team can help you fight them. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What happens if I am charged with a DUI in California?
If you are caught driving while under the influence for the first time, you will face a wide array of penalties that can have a long-lasting impact on your life. The penalties for a first-offense DUI in California are as follows:
- You may lose your driver’s license for up to six months
- Between 48 hours, but no more than 6 months in county jail
- High fines
- You may be sentenced to probation for up to 3 years
- You will most likely have to attend a court-approved DUI school
- Anytime in the future that you are pulled over with any amount of alcohol in your system, you will receive a DUI
What are the penalties for a second DUI in California?
For a second-offense DUI in California, you can expect to face even harsher penalties. The consequences of a second DUI within 10 years of the first are as follows:
- Between 10 days and one year in jail
- You will have to complete a court-approved DUI school
- Up to $2,500 in fines and fees
- You may have to install the ignition interlock device in your vehicle
- You may lose your driver’s license for up to 2 years
What are the consequences of a third or subsequent DUI in California?
Finally, for a third or subsequent DUI in California, you will most likely face the following legal penalties:
- Between 120 days and 1 year in county jail
- You will have to enroll in a court-approved DUI program for at least 30 months
- Up to 5 years of probation
- You may lose your license for up to 3 years
- A potential $1,800 fine
If you have been charged with a DUI, it is critical that you retain the legal services of a knowledgeable Red Bluff criminal lawyer as soon as you can. Our firm is here to help you today.
Contact our experienced Tehama County firm
Here at Cohen Criminal Law, we believe that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Our mission is to defend your rights, and we are committed to that mission. We will be your number one advocate through every step of the process. Attorney Cohen has fought on behalf of those charged with crimes for over 30 years, and he is ready to fight for you, too. Contact Cohen Criminal Law today to schedule your free initial consultation with our firm.