If you have been arrested for driving under the influence or any other offense that resulted in your driver’s license being suspended, you may wonder whether there is any way to get your license back early. Please continue reading and reach out to a dedicated Red Bluff criminal lawyer from Cohen Criminal Law to learn more. Here are some of the questions you may have:
Will I be able to get my suspended license back early in California?
Depending on the reason for your suspension and the actions you have taken to reinstate your license, you may be able to get your license back early or apply for a restricted license that allows you to drive under certain conditions. Some examples of scenarios that may qualify are as follows:
- No insurance: You can get your license back after one year if you provide proof of insurance to the DMV and maintain it for the next three years. You cannot apply for a restricted license in this case.
- DUI: You can apply for a restricted license after serving 30 days of your suspension if you enroll in a DUI program, pay a reissue fee, and file an SR-22 form. A restricted license allows you to drive to and from work, school, or the DUI program. You can get your full license back after completing the DUI program and meeting all other requirements.
- Refusal to take a chemical test: You cannot apply for a restricted license if you refused to take a chemical test when arrested for DUI. You have to wait until the end of your suspension period to get your license back.
- Excessive points on driving record: You can apply for a restricted license after serving 30 days of your suspension if you file an SR-22 form and pay a reissue fee. A restricted license allows you to drive to and from work or school. You can get your full license back after completing a probation period of one year.
- Failure to pay child support: You can get your license back if you pay all the past due child support or make arrangements with the court or the child support agency to do so. You cannot apply for a restricted license in this case.
Importantly, you shouldn’t try to apply for a restricted license without a competent attorney in your corner, and you should also understand the importance of hiring a lawyer from the moment you’re first charged with a crime. Your lawyer can work to mitigate your charges or, in some cases, have them dropped altogether.
If you have any further questions, or you need a lawyer in your corner who can effectively fight to protect your driving privileges or have them restored, look no further than Cohen Criminal Law.